National Hispanic Heritage Month traditionally honors the cultures and contributions of both Hispanic and Latino Americans as we celebrate heritage rooted in all Latin American countries. During this month and throughout the year, the National Park Service and our partners, share history, heritage, and accomplishments of Hispanic and Latino Americans of past and present. National Hispanic Month is from September 15 to October 15th.
Wentworth Intermediate School
Calumet City School District NO. 155
530 Superior Avenue
Calumet City, Illinois 60409
Julie Hassel Charles Russ
Principal Assistant Principal
RE: ESSA Parents Right to Know
Dear Parents and Guardians:
On December 10, 2015, President Barack Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) into law. ESSA reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 “to ensure that every child achieves.” ESSA is the nation’s general education law, and as such, has been revised by Congress many times over the years. The last reauthorization took place in 2001 and was called the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB).
In accordance with the Every Student Succeeds Act/ PARENTS’ RIGHT-TO-KNOW, this is a notification from Calumet City School District 155 to every parent of a student in a Title I school that you have the right to request and receive in a timely manner: (A) information regarding the professional qualifications of your student’s classroom teachers, (B) information on instructional paraprofessionals and (C) the assessment policies within the district.
- The following information may be requested about the professional qualifications of classroom teacher(s):
- Whether the teacher has met Illinois teacher certification requirements for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction
- Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional status through which Illinois qualifications or certification criteria have been waived
- The college major and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher
In addition to the above information you will be notified if your student has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who does not meet the applicable state certification for licensure requirements at the grade level and subject area in which the teacher has been assigned.
- Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
Paraprofessionals must work under the supervision of a certified teacher. In schools that operate a School wide program, all paraprofessionals must meet professional qualifications. In a Targeted Assistance program, any paraprofessional directly supervised by a certificated teacher must meet the professional qualifications.
- Districts and schools must provide, including posting on their respective websites in a clear and easily accessible manner information on each assessment required by the State and the district. See attached.
If you wish to request information concerning the qualifications of your child’s teachers and instructional paraprofessionals, please contact Principal Julie Hassel at Wentworth Intermediate School
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school principal at 708-868-7926.
Tara T. Lawrence