Responsibilities of Students
As citizens of the United States, students are guaranteed certain individual rights and have corresponding individual responsibilities. Parents, teachers, and administrations have a responsibility, indeed - a duty to protect the rights of students while maintaining an educational atmosphere conducive to the teaching and learning process. The concept of balancing rights of the individual with rights of society is as valid in the educational community as in the larger community.
There are certain responsibilities required of a citizen who is a student in school:
- To become informed of and adhere to rules and regulations established by local boards of education and implemented by all school personnel.
- To respect rights and individuality of other students, school administrators and teachers.
- To refrain from libel, slanderous remarks, and obscenity in verbal and written expression.
- To dress in uniform and groom in a manner that meets standards of health, cleanliness, and safety.
- To be punctual and present in the regular or assigned school program.
- To refrain from disobedience, misconduct, or behavior that materially and substantially disrupts the educational process.
- To maintain the best possible level of academic achievement.
- To respect the authority by school administrators and teachers in maintaining discipline in school and at school-sponsored activities.
Launch the Handbook